Thursday, September 18, 2008

Drug Reps-The Real Dirty

Today, as in most days this month, during lunch I head to the break room and get lunch. I never know what is going to be there or how terrible for me it will be, but what I do know is that it is provided by pharm reps, and in order to eat lunch, I have to leave the party of nurses and techs eating peacefully in the break room and go face the music in the conference room.

It's not that I think pharm reps are bad people. But why would I go through 12 years of science and medical training to listen about a drug from someone with a history degree and two weeks of "intense" training on his or her particular drug? One rep pointed this out and said, "I would be insulted if I were you. To think that we could come in and influence you; you're too smart for that." I said if it didn't work I'd have to ask why she was still coming and pandering to my ego.


Is this sub-sandwich worth my soul?

I feel a little like a lunch slut for eating. Most doctors use it as social time amongst themselves, making a game out of how they can thwart the sales pitches or poke holes in the studies presented by, funded by, and of course, favorably showing their company's product.

Blah Blah blah even writing about them is mind-numbingly annoying. But now I'm hungry. Thank goodness there's an "informational dinner" tonight.

No comments: