Monday, September 8, 2008

Kickin' it old school


Last night the fancy-A and I played in our first kickball game. A whole league of grown-ups playing kickball on a real field with a real umpire! Unfortunately, we lost. Big time. There's a rule about having to have equal numbers of men and women, and we were short on the lady side. And apparently I have a lot to learn about the subtle art of kicking the crap out of a big rubbery ball.

Things I learned:

1. Kickballs give a satisfying thwap when they tag a runner trying to make it to home plate.
2. You can't throw kickballs from center field to home, no matter how well you can throw a softball.
3. Most of the fun in adult kickball leagues is derived from watching grown men and women (esp. engineers) run around, arms in the air, faces lit up with apprehension and anticipation, right up until the ball bounces of their chest.


My pal Kristin sent me this from Mexico. I think it's the perfect addition to my kickball uniform. Nothing like a little intimidation to get the game going.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That picture will haunt me for the rest of my days.

My Pal Al said...

It doesn't have to just be the picture. I have the mask in my costume box.

That pic was taken at school by the way. I think it made a big impression on the lecturer.